Ow, Ow, Cramp, Ow….
I’ve been getting more cramps lately, and the crazy thing is, I couldn’t figure out why. Seriously! My darling husband, who is always more logical that I am, said “you’re dehydrated.” Duh! How did that not occur to me? I guess because I don’t drink anything besides water (and coffee), I just assumed I was getting enough water. I was w-r-o-n-g. Odds are good that you aren’t drinking enough water either.
Here are 5 tips on how to meet your water goals for the day, and 5 reasons you should make it a priority:
Drink more water!
1. Fill up enough water bottles to meet your goal, empty them all by bedtime and you’ve succeeded in drinking your water.
2. Keep a water bottle in your car (metal or glass, not plastic, the heat can release toxins into your drinking water).
3. Keep a tally of glasses (or bottles) consumed on your calendar or your smart device.
4. Drink a glass of water before you eat meals and snacks. Not only will it help you get your recommended amount of water, but it will help keep you from overeating.
5. Amp up the flavor. Lemon juice is a great flavor additive, but even a powdered flavor enhancer will do, if that’s what it takes.
WHY you should drink more water?
1. The obvious, for me, fewer cramps. Muscles function better when hydrated.
2. Better skin. Moisturizers are great, but moisturizing from the inside out is the best for your complexion.
3. Regularity. Water keeps things moving, if ya know what I mean.
4. Most other drinks are bad for you. There are exceptions; Green Tea, I’m talking to you. Most drinks, however, are full of sugar, artificial sugar, caffeine (only good in moderation), fat and empty calories. Only water can be had all day long without negative effects.
5. Weight loss. As mentioned above, drinking water before meals will keep you from overeating, plus boredom or emotional eating can usually be avoided by keeping a belly full of water. It also raises your metabolism. Woohoo!
So….. Drink your water. It’s good for you, and it’ll make you feel a whole lot better.
How do you meet your necessary water intake for the day? I’m always looking for more ideas.