It’s a B-e-a-YOU-tiful Monday!
Just a quick “Good Morning” to y’all. It’s been a wacky weekend for me, with a sick baby, a craft show, and on Sunday afternoon my husband and I decided to create a manageable plan for his nutrition and movement going forward. Lots of discussion and writing out a plan, including SMART goals has set him up for success.
Mondays can be one of two things: Going back to the grind, and being as far away from the weekend as humanly possible.
A refreshing start to the week, ripe with possibilities and fresh starts, a chance to wipe the slate clean and begin anew.
Let’s make this Monday look more like the second option. Here are a few ways to make your Monday something to put a little lift in your step, instead of filling your shoes with lead.
1. Take a few minutes this morning (outside, if possible) to just BREATHE. Inhale. Exhale. Stop thinking. Inhale again. Exhale again. Don’t pay attention to anything but breathing. Do your best to expand your belly as you inhale, not your chest. The increase in oxygen, plus the few minutes of shutting out all the noise of your day will do amazing things for your outlook.
2. EAT BREAKFAST! You’ve heard it 8 million times. It’s still true. Eating breakfast is vital to having a good day. A latte doesn’t count. Your brain needs fuel to function, and your metabolism needs fuel to burn energy. It’s a cycle. If you don’t eat breakfast, you will actually end up eating more calories throughout the rest of the day, spurred by hunger and impulsive choices. You’re not doing yourself any favors by skipping breakfast (or any meal, for that matter).
3. Change your WALLPAPER (on your phone or desktop, or both). Your goals are more likely to succeed if you have them in front of your face on a regular basis. Find a motivational photo, or quote, and put it up as your wallpaper. I’m not talking about posting a picture of a skinny girl in a bikini on the fridge to shame you into not eating. I’m talking about an uplifting image that will boost your spirit and make you WANT to do better for yourself.
4. Jot down a list of things you’re THANKFUL for. Use a post-it note. Don’t write a thesis. Don’t do it for anyone else, or make up junk you think you should be thankful for. If you’re thankful for your new shoes, write that. If you’re thankful for your baby napping (AMEN!), write that. If you’re thankful that it’s a payday week, write that. Writing it out will give you great perspective, and will be a reminder that although it’s Monday, it’s not all that bad.
5. Drink 64 ounces of WATER. Just do it. I know it’s not fun. Or sexy. Going to the bathroom more often might be a drag. Here’s the bottom line. IF: you’re tired, you’re bloated, you’re cranky, your hair is dull, you’ve got bags under your eyes, you’re constipated, or you think you’re hungry and you’re about to make a beeline for the donuts… THEN: you NEED MORE WATER in your body. Just do it. Seriously. Go get some water… right now… I’ll wait…
Did you do it? I did. I promise it will do good things for you.
Have a GREAT Monday! I’m off to do some Yoga with a friend. I highly recommend you join us… at least in spirit.
Love & Rockets,