Weight Loss Wednesday: Follow the 80/20 Rule
Hey Mamas (and Papas)!
The ratio of 80 to 20 is seen frequently in today’s society.
In economics, it is understood that generally 80% of the wealth is held by 20% of the population, and that 80% of the work is done mby 20% of the workers.
In fitness, a common phrase heard from trainers is that weight loss is 80% what you eat and 20% how you exercise. Another way of saying this is that you can’t out-exercise a bad diet.
What I want to talk about this week is the 80/20 rule when it comes to your eating habits. I’m not saying the “D” word (d-i-e-t), because this is not a way of eating that restricts food groups, requires counting every last calorie, or subsisting entirely on grapefruit or chicken broth (minus the chicken).
The 80/20 rule simply means that you aim to eat “clean” 80% of the time and indulge, within reason, the other 20% of the time. Don’t worry about doing any higher math. If you eat 3 meals a day, you have 4 “cheat” meals a week. If you eat 5 times a day, that’s 7 chances to indulge a week.
The joy of this eating style is that you can still go out for cocktails with your girlfriends on Friday night, or enjoy the Eggs Benedict at Sunday brunch, without guilt. It is a sustainable way of eating, versus the super-restrictive diets that make you so sick of the food you’re putting in your face that you want to scream (… for Ice Cream).
It is important to realize that you are aiming for light indulgences, not all out binge-fests. If you eat (and drink) 3000 calories at your local beer and wings joint (it’s totally possible to do), you will NOT achieve a healthy balance that week.
However, small indulgences will help you maintain your long-term goals of eating sensibly, without feeling the need to run screaming in the other direction of the broccoli in your fridge.
Moderation is key.
Give it a try. Jessica Alba eats by this principle, so does Supermodel Miranda Kerr. If it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for me. How about you?